Friends of St Mary's Church - Sunbury on Thames
The Friends of St.Mary's is the independent Registered Charity (number 1048888) set up to raise funds to maintain the fabric of the building & it's contents and so ensure this much loved local landmark and centre of our Village life can be kept in good order for future generations. Please join us and support us in our work.
Our Parish Church was built on the site of a medieval church building in 1752 to designs by Stephen Wright who at the time was Clerk of the Works at Hampton Court Palace. The interior was remodelled by the Victorians between 1857 and 1895, substantial restoration & repairs were carried out in the 1970's and the Tower was restored and secured for future generations in the early 2000's. The Church contains 17th & 18th Century baroque wall memorials salvaged from the original building, Arts & Crafts movement stained glass windows, High Victorian decor designed by Samuel Teulon and Scraffito decoration from the 1890's; the dawning years of the Art Nouveau movement.
The Friends organise talks, music, concerts and plays and during the last 14 years have raised over £100,000 helping to pay for repairs to the tower, roof, bells and drains etc. During 2012 FOSM have helped with a donation of £28,000 towards a replacement Nave roof.
We are run by committee
of up to 6 trustees and 2 representatives at the PCC.
All of the above are all volunteers, if you have some spare time or ideas for fundraising or would like to help please Get in Touch!
The work we do has helped to pay for repairs to the tower, roof, bells, drains to name a few. All thanks to the donations and helping hands of our amazing community!
To raise funds to maintain the fabric of the building & it's contents and so ensure this much loved local landmark and centre of our Village life can be kept in good order for future generations.